TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS (Effective April 1, 2022)
- As of April 1, 2022, non-fully vaccinated travelers can also enter with a negative 24 hr. Ag test.
- Transit passengers with final destination Saba, must complete an EHAS application for Sint Maarten.
- Due to the COVID-19 epidemic Sint Maarten has established a mandatory health pre-authorization application through an Electronic Health Authorization System (EHAS) for every visitor arriving by air including transits, Sint Maarten and Saint Martin residents. Without the health pre-authorization boarding will not be possible. Be advised that processing time can take up to 12 hours. For visitors arriving by ferry boat from St.Kitts and Nevis, Anguilla, St. Barth’s, Saba and St, Eustatius and cruisers without an agent health pre-authorization application through the Electronic Health Authorization System (EHAS) is mandatory as well. Other maritime vessels please read the latest requirements here.
- The test requirements vary depending on the vaccination and covid-19 infection status. Please scroll down.
- All fully vaccinated travelers: The EHAS application must be completed. The date of completion of vaccination must be submitted as well as valid proof of vaccination (official country vaccination card or QR code, full name and name, dates administered and batch number(s) of vaccine) from the country where the vaccine was administered. A received booster shot must be indicated in the appropriate field and proof thereof (official country vaccination card or QR code) must be uploaded as well. A booster shot has to be administered at least 14 days before departure.
- You are considered fully vaccinated with an accepted vaccine :
- 2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer, Moderna, Astrazeneca, Sinopharm, Sinovac/Coronavac and Covishield vaccines, or
- 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine, or
- 2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series combination of a single dose Pfizer or Moderna with a single dose Astra Zeneca, or
- 2 weeks after a single-dose of vaccine after a confirmed COVID-19 infection within 6 months before the vaccination (to be stated on proof of vaccination in absence of a digital COVID-19 infection certificate).
- the accepted Covid-19 vaccines are: Comirnaty (Pfizer), Spikevax (Moderna), Vaxzevria (Astrazeneca), Johnson & Johnson/Janssen, Covishield (Astrazeneca), Sinopharm and Sinovac/CoronaVac.
- Travelers who have recovered from a Covid-19 infection within 9 months before departure must upload one of the below acceptable proof of recovery:
- A government / public health authority issued proof of recovery (Digital Covid Recovery Certificate or letter)
- A lab issued positive covid-19 PCR test result also indicating a Ct value of 35 or higher.
- A signed and stamped Covid-19 recovery letter from a physician accompanied by the positive Covid-19 PCR test result.
- All non- fully vaccinated and those with a past Covid-19 infection older than 9 months, are required to have a negative Covid-19 test in accordance with the required type of test. For the age category of 5 up to 10 years, an oropharyngeal swab will also be accepted.
- The government of Sint Maarten has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 insurance for all travelers with destination Sint Maarten with the exception of Sint Maarten residents, transit passengers departing the same day (checkbox), flight crews (checkbox), transiting cruise ship crews (checkbox), French nationals residing in France or a French territory, BES-ZVK insured (checkbox) and AUC faculty and students (special procedure). The insurance purchasing process is an integrated step in the EHAS application. Travelers requiring the COVID-19 insurance must complete this process upon application. For more information on and all questions related to the COVID-19 insurance please visit www.sxmprotectionplan.com or contact customer support at email@example.com
- The application must be completed in order to be processed. This includes proof of a negative COVID-19 test result, information on the vaccination status (including official proof of completed vaccination in case fully vaccinated), recovery information on a Covid-19 infection and the purchase of the mandatory COVID-19 insurance in case required. Children must have the online health form filled out by their parents. Provide a working personal email address on which you are reachable.
- All incoming passengers are subjected to temperature checks and other screening protocols and may be subjected to mandatory testing at their own expense. Failure to comply with the screening at the Health Check Point upon arrival will result in you not being cleared to enter St. Maarten and sent back to your originating country. If re-tested upon arrival you will be required to self-quarantine at your place of lodging/residence until the test results are known.
- Applicants will receive confirmation of their accepted application. Non-completed applications will be automatically deleted within a day after the provided travel date.
- If health authorization is pre-approved, you will receive a (printable) pre-authorization PDF via e-mail, which must be presented at check in and to the health and immigration authorities upon arrival. This PDF will also contain a QR code which will show the vaccination status and COVID test result when scanned. Keep the original rt-PCR or antigen test result and proof of vaccination always with you. Please check your spam/junk mail folder as well in case you haven’t received a response. If health authorization is not pre-approved, you will receive an e-mail informing you that health pre-authorization has been denied.
- Adherence to all other safety and hygiene protocols like social distancing, mandatory face mask wearing and hand sanitizing where required.
COVID-19 TEST REQUIREMENTS
Traveling to Sint Maarten from:
EHAS application required
Fully vaccinated only or combined with booster shot >14 days
Covid-19 recovered < 9 months before departure
Children 0 to 5 yrs.
|All others 5 yrs. and older|
|Any Country||yes||no test required||
no test required
acceptable proof of recovery(*)
|no test required||rt-PCR test within 48 hrs. or Ag test within 24 hrs. before departure|
(*) see above
- The rt-PCR/Ag test sample for the SARS-COV-2 virus must be obtained from naso-pharyngeal swab in adolescents and adults. An oro-pharygeal swab is accepted in case of children.
- Results from covid-19 collection home test kits will not be accepted. Airlines might require you to show a negative lab test result.
- The original test result to be uploaded as part of EHAS application procedure must clearly specify the name of the laboratory or clinic, full name of test subject, type of test administered, name of antigen test, sample date, source of the swab, result date and a negative result. Non-compliant test results, hand written or e-mail statements from doctors will not be accepted.
- Applicants with a recent COVID-19 infection and still a positive COVID-19 test will only be granted entry with a pos rt-PCR test result when the Ct value is 35 or higher. The Ct value must be clearly indicated on the test result.
AIRLINE, PRIVATE FLIGHT, AND AIR AMBULANCE CREW
- All airline, private flight and air ambulance crew must be able to demonstrate proof of full vaccination or in case not fully vaccinated, either an acceptable proof of recovery or a valid negative COVID-19 test result according to the vaccination and covid-19 infection status.
- Crew members with stopovers of more than one(1) night must submit an application through EHAS. The same travel requirements as for passengers apply in these cases.
CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS ARRIVING BY AIR AND DEPARTING BY CRUISESHIP FROM SINT MAARTEN
- All passengers must complete the application procedure through EHAS before departing to Sint Maarten.
- Within 48 hours, before disembarking again in Sint Maarten at the end of the cruise, all passengers older 5 years and older must have an antigen test performed by the cruise line.
- Applying through EHAS is not necessary when returning to Sint Maarten at the end of the cruise.
- The purchase of COVID-19 insurance (see below) is mandatory when staying more than one (1) day in Sint Maarten either before or after the cruise. The insurance is only valid during the days of stay in Sint Maarten between the arrival date and return date to the country of origin.
TESTING POSITIVE WHILE ON ISLAND
- Notify your hotel/accommodation
- Inform everyone you had contact with from the day of a positive test until now (asymptomatic) or 2 days before you first had symptoms (symptomatic).
- Review your EHAS travel insurance policy
- Maintain general measures; wash your hands; wear a mask properly; keep a 2 m distance; ensure adequate ventilation.
- Do not travel if: You are sick, you tested positive for COVID-19 or are awaiting your results of the COVID-19 test.
- If you reside or are vacationing on the Dutch side, you are eligible to receive a digital COVID certificate of recovery. 7 days after your positive test date, you can retrieve your digital COVID certificate through the following portal. https://services.sintmaartengov.org/form.aspx?fid=f632f130-ed29-481b-af6a-2936f137e648&v=7qfalqNyfP.
- For information on testing locations please visit https://stmaartenupdates.com/testing-on-island/ Thank you for choosing St. Maarten as your preferred vacation destination.
COUNTRY RISK ASSESSMENT
Risk classification COVID-19
All countries are categorized as very high risk until further notice.